Contaminated Water at Camp Lejeune

contaminated water

Veterans — Reservists — Guardsmen — Military Dependents

If you lived or worked at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune between 1953 and 1987 you may have been exposed to drinking water contaminated with volatile organic compounds. You may be entitled to disability compensation and/or reimbursement for out-of-pocket medical costs through the Veterans Administration.

Additionally, the Federal Government has set aside funding specifically to cover out-of-pocket healthcare costs of Servicemembers and their family members who suffer from certain specific health conditions and diseases that have resulted from water contamination at Camp Lejeune.

In 1985, two deactivated water treatment plants that served Camp Lejeune were found to be contaminated with 70 different harmful solvents and chemicals at concentrations from 240 to 3400 times those levels permitted by safety standards. Service members and their families were affected by the contaminated drinking water. Contaminants include:

  • Trichloroethylene (TCE)
  • Perchloroethylene (PCE)
  • Benzene
  • Vinyl chloride

Numerous studies have found that contaminated drinking water at Camp Lejeune is definitively linked to an increased risk for numerous diseases and health conditions.

The VA has established a presumptive service connection for Veterans, Reservists, and National Guard members exposed to contaminants in the water supply at Camp Lejeune from August 1, 1953 through December 31, 1987 who later developed one of the following eight diseases:

  • Adult leukemia
  • Aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes
  • Bladder cancer
  • Kidney cancer
  • Liver cancer
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
  • Parkinson's disease

You will need to file a claim for disability compensation and provide the evidence (supporting documents) that shows that you have been diagnosed with one of the eight recognized diseases and that you lived or worked at Camp Lejeune during the recognized period of time when contamination occurred.

If you have filed a claim and have been denied, please call us as soon as possible. Our firm has attorneys who specialize in appealing these types of claims who can help you and guide you through the process.

Please give us a call at (888) 570-4612